In regards to George's reply.. that works.. but depending on the library
you use (looking at you org.json.*) it could eat up a bit of memory...
obviously something to avoid on phones/tablets if possible. Jackson has an
additional library for support a JSONObject, but with the mapping features,
you can stream parse into an object on the fly, using little memory, and/or
spit out your object tree as a json string on the fly with little memory
use as well.