I have tried this, it is a dead end. The reason you can't apply the
standard RC33 update is because it is not signed for the dev phone. I
downloaded a modified recovery image that works with test keys. Then I
used a small java script to sign the image with test keys. Even after
this some assertions in the upgrade script failed, it expects you to
be running a particular image and a particular version of the
bootloader. Even after (stupidly) removing these assertions from the
script and trying to update again the very first step failed, which
was a patch to the Alarm Clock application. I gave up at this point, I
had almost bricked my ADP1 a couple of times, it wasn't booting.

I know we bought these phones as 'developers' but we still have to use
them day-to-day and we want to use applications like Market, Gmail
etc. We also want the updates in RC33, including Maps 3.0 and
Latitude.