And also fixed for me!  Got the feeling that the Play support requests just
don't arrive (again didn't get an email as it said I should receive for
further instructions).
After using the second link from David within a day I got  a reply from the
Checkout support request saying they forwarded it to the appropriate team.
The next day I had a mail from Play support saying my order from 2009 was
not charged and recently cancelled. And it also said my account currently
seems to be active. And if I still got problems accessing it I should
contact them.
Logged in right after that and indeed the red message on top ("THE PAYMENT
FOR THE REGISTRATION FEE HAS FAILED.....") is gone and I can update my apps
again! Everything seems functional again.

Guess that somebody fixed something, but also here no more info than what
was in the email replay...

Thanks support for fixing this and David for suggesting the second link!