On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM, Romain Guy <romain...@android.com> wrote:

> The text locale on the Paint is used to resolve direction (right to
> left/left to right.) It won't affect text translations.

Thanks for your reply, Romain.  The direction is actually precisely the
thing I'm worried about.  I need to render a couple of short strings (like
"Level" or "Rank") which will not be localised, at least for the initial
stage of the feature.  In other words, I know for sure they are in
English.  My concern is, can an ASCII string end up rendered right-to-left
or top-to-bottom if the device default locale is right-to-left or
top-to-bottom?  If so, is there a way to force standard English rendering
mode on pre-17 APIs?

Cheers!