The following code used to work fine in a previous iteration of my app that was targeted to V11 but used the support library to support fragments, etc., from the minimum V7 and up:

            Fragment frag = ShowExhibit.ShowExhibitFrag.newInstance(args);
FragmentTransaction ft = mFrag.getFragmentManager().beginTransaction(); ft.setCustomAnimations(android.R.anim.fade_in, android.R.anim.fade_out,
                    android.R.anim.fade_in, android.R.anim.fade_out);
            ft.replace(mParentId, frag);
            ft.addToBackStack(null);
            ft.commit();

Now I'm creating a new version that targets V14 and also has a min of V14, so no need to use the support library for fragments. Running this on the emulator running Android 4.0 (V14), I get the following fatal error on the transition:

FATAL EXCEPTION: main
 java.lang.RuntimeException: Unknown animator name: alpha
at android.animation.AnimatorInflater.createAnimatorFromXml(AnimatorInflater.java:129) at android.animation.AnimatorInflater.createAnimatorFromXml(AnimatorInflater.java:93)

So what has changed? I can load my previous app version on this same emulator and it runs just fine. None of the code related to this operation has changed in any way. The emulator was created using the standard "Galaxy Nexus" definition within ADT.