Tearing my hair out over this one.

I'm offering the user a choice of several dark or light themes.
Setting with getApplication().setTheme() and setTheme() in onCreate of
activity
(as the first thing in that function).

There's a period while the app loads when the screen goes black. If
you have a light desktop, it's very disconcerting (flashes). Of course
I could set a fixed white theme in the manifest, but then the inverse
problem occurs when user selects a dark theme.

Tried everything I can think of e.g. overrode Application, set in
Application:onCreate, created a FrontDoor activity that just sets the
theme then loads the relevant dedicated Light or Dark activity.

It appears Application:setTheme is completely ignored.

The current best solution I have is to set a manifest theme with a
grey background. Could create dedicated Dark and Light launcher icons,
but

Any tips ?

Pent

p.s. tried setting a transparent application theme in the manifest,
then you can get a huge delay while data loads. And if Android is
short of memory the user keeps seeing the desktop in-between
activities.

---
"Android Developers" group.