I have faced the same problem, and finally found the cause: If you are
starting new instances of your application from Eclipse (as it was my
case) after compiling, the new apk replaces the old one, BUT the
original one is not deleted, only UNLINKED from the file system...

It is a problem similar to this one:

http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/4c377ed7e883deef/309bcf576a1fb7cb

And the solution is to force the file system to clean the files, by
removing the battery with the system being up!.

To check if this is your problem, do:

adb shell
cat /proc/yaffs

and see if you have many unlinked files...

If this is not your case, you can try:

ls -R -l /data > /sdcard/data.txt

and review the data.txt file searching for files.