First I'm assuming that the URL is accessible on the network, if so you
need to make sure that:

A) The device is on the same network (e.g. same wifi router)
B) The app has the android.permission.INTERNET permission

" I have seen to use 10.0.2.2 instead of localhost".. not sure what you
mean by this.. but of course localhost wouldn't work because presumably the
server is not running on the device :/

On Sunday, November 20, 2011 10:40:50 AM UTC-8, mark kelly wrote:

> Hi
> Im trying to connect to a mysql database which is on localhost. i get
> the error:
>
>  Error in http connection
> org.apache.http.conn.HttpHostConnectException: Connection to
> http://10.0.2.2
> refused
>
> The code is:
>
> package com.test.poll;
>
> import java.io.BufferedReader;
> import java.io.InputStream;
> import java.io.InputStreamReader;
> import java.util.ArrayList;
>
> import org.apache.http.HttpEntity;
> import org.apache.http.HttpResponse;
> import org.apache.http.NameValuePair;
> import org.apache.http.client.HttpClient;
> import org.apache.http.client.entity.UrlEncodedFormEntity;
> import org.apache.http.client.methods.HttpPost;
> import org.apache.http.impl.client.DefaultHttpClient;
> import org.apache.http.message.BasicNameValuePair;
> import org.json.JSONArray;
> import org.json.JSONException;
> import org.json.JSONObject;
>
> import android.app.Activity;
> import android.os.Bundle;
> import android.util.Log;
> import android.widget.Toast;
>
> public class Poll extends Activity {
>     InputStream is;
>     @Override
>     public void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
>         super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
>         setContentView(R.layout.main);
>         String result = "";
>         //the year data to send
>         ArrayList<NameValuePair> nameValuePairs = new
> ArrayList<NameValuePair>();
>         nameValuePairs.add(new BasicNameValuePair("year","1990"));
>
>         //http post
>         try{
>                 HttpClient httpclient = new DefaultHttpClient();
>                 HttpPost httppost = new HttpPost("http://10.0.2.2/
> android/getAllPeopleBornAfter.php");
>                 httppost.setEntity(new
> UrlEncodedFormEntity(nameValuePairs));
>                 HttpResponse response = httpclient.execute(httppost);
>                 HttpEntity entity = response.getEntity();
>                 is = entity.getContent();
>                 Log.e("log_tag", "connection success ");
>                 Toast.makeText(getApplicationContext(), "pass",
> Toast.LENGTH_SHORT).show();
>         }catch(Exception e){
>                 Log.e("log_tag", "Error in http connection
> "+e.toString());
>                 Toast.makeText(getApplicationContext(),
> "failed"+e.toString(), Toast.LENGTH_SHORT).show();
>
>         }
>         //convert response to string
>         try{
>                 BufferedReader reader = new BufferedReader(new
> InputStreamReader(is,"iso-8859-1"),8);
>                 StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();
>                 String line = null;
>                 while ((line = reader.readLine()) != null) {
>                         sb.append(line + "\n");
>                         Toast.makeText(getApplicationContext(),
> "pass", Toast.LENGTH_SHORT).show();
>                 }

> [...]