You say that "My career doesn't revolve around only Google, and I have
other things to do than checking each x months if one API has been
discontinuated and I need to develop everything again." We do occasionally
need to update our software, and although we do try very hard to avoid
breaking changes, they do sometimes happen. How would you prefer to be
notified of these changes? Have you ever obtained a v1 API key or uploaded
an app to Google Play? If not, then how would Google have communicated this
important information to you?
Ian

On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:59:07 AM UTC-7, user123 wrote:

> Yes, in moments like this, I ask myself why I'm an Android developer :) I
> think I started basically because I didn't/don't like Apple. But
> reconsidering this position.
>
> Another thing I found quite annoying during this experience, is that
> there's not even a direct contact possibility. All I found was an email
> Address of Googe Play, then I got an automatic e-Mail in response, which
> told me, to answer directly if this doesn't solve the problem, I did, and
> then I got:
>
> "Thank you for your note. If you're looking for information regarding Google
> Maps Android API, please visit our Google Play Android Developer site:
> http://developer.android.com/google/play-services/maps.html";
>
> I probably can't call this "bad costumer service", since I'm only a stupid
> developer, not a costumer, and I don't deserve any direct communication
> with Google. And not to dream about the possibility to get some
> human-generated consideration about my case and a key for v1.
>
> And I'm not afraid of writing this, because Google will not even read it :)
>
> So I'll delay my release and post soon my questions about v2. And try my
> best to keep my motivation to be an Android developer.
>

> Am Dienstag, 23. April 2013 03:07:00 UTC+2 schrieb Indicator Veritatis:
>>
>> In your message starting this thread, you say: "The context: I finished
>> an app a few months ago. I want to release it now."
>>
>> Well, it appears Google has, in its infinite wisdom, decided during those
>> "few months" not to give anyone a v1 key. Of course, this is inconsiderate
>> to developers, but Google is like that. Even in its worst days, Apple had
>> better relations with independent developers.
>>
>> But no doubt Google would ask, "well, what were you doing in those 'few
>> months' that you did not notice the need to update your app for the new
>> API?" Android developers have to roll with the punches and live with this
>> kind of abuse from Google, we cannot change it.
>>
>> Complain if you have to to get it out of your system, but then move on.
>> Either drop the app or rewrite it to use the new API.
>>
>> On Monday, April 22, 2013 3:47:10 AM UTC-7, user123 wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you please stop using this conversation (only) to promote yourself
>>> :) thanks.
>>>
>>> I can google the information myself. This is not any serious help. What
>>> I need is an API key for v1 to release my finished app.

---
"Android Developers" group.