Hi David,

> I am inclined to deprecate that API entirely and replace it with hooks
> for native signal processing.

Can you please elaborate on that? First of all I am using the existing
APIs in my app and don't like the idea of things breaking through
deprecation of the camera APIs that are in the official SDK 1.0.
Secondly, *every* Android API *is* in most if not all cases already a
hook to native processing - but a hook that is platform-neutral. I'd
really hate to see everything move into JNI for instance, but I hope
that is not what you meant. I also don't see how you cannot create a
separate camera "heap" (4n MB reserved memory area for an n-megapixel
camera) that one could communicate with and get image chunks from
through Android APIs that *could* be upward compatible extensions of
the existing camera callback APIs (even while these are ugly)? After
all, there is no fundamental difference between communicating with a
camera and communicating with an external memory block. For image
processing purposes, communication can be line-by-line as a good trade-
off between speed (a whole image line gets transferred per - slow -
Android call), memory needs (never load an entire hi-res snapshot to
the app's limited heap) and algorithmic needs (storing a couple of
lines within the Android heap suffices for most filtering, feature
detection and subsampling operations, although camera API *extensions*
that further support this are welcome). Are there any image processing
experts involved in the camera API decision making? No offense but the
camera API for SDK 1.0 gives me the impression that things were -
perhaps due to time pressure - thrown together without *any*
background in (real-time) image processing as required for future
augmented reality applications and location-based image processing.

Regards