If you restrict yourself to building with eclipse, that's an outstanding
problem.
Essentially, if you want to maintain an independently installable 'version'
of an application, it needs to be published with a different package name by
adjusting the manifest. Unfortunately the package for R.java defaults to
that specified in the manifest and changing the package in the manifest
automatically changes the location of R.java causing breakage. This can be
remedied using aapt with the -J flag, but the eclipse plugin doesn't expose
it.

In short, different application deployments need different packages, but the
eclipse plugin isn't quite up to it yet.

Tom.