I just had a quick peek at the API level 14 source code and it looks like
there are two possible reasons for that problem:

1. The actual ContentProvider the ContentResolver connected to returns null
on insert (for whatever reason, that is a mystery)
2. A RemoteException was thrown during the insert operation. The exception
is caught by the ContentResolver and it returns just null instead. The
reason for that is (according to the source code comment) that the process
/ app is about to die anyway.

Other ContentResolver methods behave exactly the same. Also the query
methods. It can - without a warning - just return null, even though it
works in your tests a million times.

You therefore need to check the result for null and come up with a strategy
for coping with that problem, like scheduling a re-query or checking if
your activity is about to be finished.

On Friday, August 2, 2013 12:29:31 PM UTC-5, eli wrote:

> This code works on all Android versions except on 4.3:
>
>                            ContentValues content = new ContentValues(4);
>             content.put(Video.VideoColumns.TITLE, "vid.mp4");
>             content.put(Video.VideoColumns.DATE_ADDED,
>             System.currentTimeMillis() / 1000);
>             content.put(Video.Media.MIME_TYPE, "video/mp4");
>             content.put(MediaStore.Video.Media.DATA, "/sdcard/vid.mp4");
>             ContentResolver resolver = getContentResolver();
>            * Uri uri =
> resolver.insert(MediaStore.Video.Media.EXTERNAL_CONTENT_URI,*
> *            content);*
>
> On 4.3 *uri *is null.
> Can someone help?
>
> Thanks,