I have rooted phone on which I want to enable disable adb from
program, without having to modify native system.settings application.

So I have small Android application that executes commands as root:

stop adbd
setprop service.adb.root 0"
adbd usb
start adbd

But when I connect to the device by USB cable my laptop doesn't see
devices? Is there something else I need to start/stop adb daemon so I
can connect it over usb cable?

However I can alway reliably start adb daemon on my device so I can
connect to it via tcp i.e. following works each time.

setprop service.adb.tcp.port 5555
stop adbd
setprop service.adb.root 0
start adbd

( I am having to do all this song-and-dance because on this device we
want only certain application/user to be able to connect to device
over adb , we don't ship this device with standard settings
application )

-Subodh

---
"Android Developers" group.