Educated guess: the UID may be the app's user id (UID). As far as I know,
Android creates a unique user for each installed app for enforcing
app-specific file system permissions. The licensing service probably checks
that the requesting app process' user id matches the user id for the
requested package. So it looks more like a security check and I'd assume
that you cannot work around that, unless you'd run your request as that
other user. And that's probably only possible on a rooted device.

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:54:17 AM UTC-6, 3c wrote:

> Does any-one has a solution to this? I would really need this to work!
> Isn't there any way to check the license of one package from another
> package?
>

> On Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:47:16 AM UTC+1, 3c wrote:
>>
>> Hello, I was really wondering the same thing (for a different purpose),
>> however no-one clearly answered your original question here, so I've
>> actually tested it directly.
>>
>> First thing, I had to modify the LVL library to take a package name and
>> version code as parameter instead of using the current app's information
>> automatically.
>>
>> Without the other paid app installed, I received
>> a ERROR_INVALID_PACKAGE_NAME.
>>
>> Once the other paid app was installed, I unfortunately received
>> a ERROR_NON_MATCHING_UID.
>>
>> As I couldn't find any UID information in the LVL library, the answer is
>> now pretty clear: it's not possible.
>>

>> On Thursday, January 6, 2011 1:27:25 AM UTC+1, andfan22 wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Just wondering if I can use LVL to check that the user is licensed to
>>> use a DIFFERENT app from the current one -- ie. one with a different
>>> package name.
>>>
>>> Why would I want to do this?  I'm developing an app which I'm
>>> considering publishing using a free + pro license model.  The main app
>>> would be a free, ad supported app.  To turn off ads the user would
>>> purchase a pro license key from the market (published as a paid app
>>> containing no functionality).  The user would continune to use the app
>>> that was downloaded for free, which checks if the paid app is
>>> installed, and if so it disables ads.   I prefer this model to a fully
>>> featured paid app model, as it eliminates the need to migrate data
>>> from the free version to the paid when the user upgrades.
>>>
>>> Under this model I would like the free app to check if the paid app is
>>> installed, and if so the free app would then use LVL to check if the
>>> user has purchased the paid app via the market.  Will it be possible
>>> for the free app to pass the package name of the paid app to LVL, and
>>> to get back a result confirming whether the paid app has been
>>> purchased or not?
>>>
>>> Looking at the LVL source code I suspect I can do this by modifying
>>> the constructor of LicenseChecker to set mPAckageName to a supplied
>>> argument rather than setting it to mContext.getPackageName().
>>>
>>> Are there any gotcha's I may be missing?
>>>
>>> Thanks ...

---
"Android Developers" group.