I'm sorry for not understanding, but it sounds like you're describing
how to get thread pool requests executed in the main thread, but
that's not the problem I'm describing (unless I've described it poorly
[if so, sorry...])

My problem is that as client Activities pass my service their callback
interfaces, the service's thread pool handles the interface code in my
service and the thread pool's thread calls
RemoteCallbackList.register.  When my service wants to send a message
to the registered client applications it tries to use the interfaces
which are stored in the RemoteCallbackList object but (and here is the
problem) there are no registered callbacks in the object.
RemoteCallbackList.beginBroadcast() returns 0 all the time, no matter
how many client's successfully bind to my service and register
themselves for callbacks.

Now, I put a simple bit of debug code to dump out how many clients are
registered each time the Service interface code is called and the
number there is exactly as I expect.  When the first one connects, the
Log.i output shows "1 client connected", when another Activity calls
to register its callback with my service, the service code reports "2
clients connected", et cetera.

So, my problem is that when the service's threadpool makes use of my
service's RemoteCallbackList object, everything is as expected, there
are several clients registered and their interfaces work, BUT, when my
service's main thread wants to notify the clients of some even, and it
tries to use the RemoteCallbackList object, it is empty when the
thread pool thread reports that it is NOT empty.

Thanks for looking at this for me.  Once I get this licked, I plan to
write up a very nice bit on how easy (I won't mention this part! LOL)
getting into Android is and include my service work.

     Thanks :)