My application integrates with Google Drive using the old api, it does not
include Google's library project (instead it includes a bunch of jars like
'google-api-client-1.12.0-beta.jar',
'google-api-services-drive-v2-rev59-1.12.0-beta.jar', etc...).

This causes an issue because this line in my manifest file:

   android:value="@integer/google_play_services_version" />

Now gives the following error:

Error: No resource found that matches the given name (at 'value' with value
 '@integer/google_play_services_version').

If I just copy the version.xml file from the library project into my
project, the error goes away. The file's contents are:

<integer name="google_play_services_version">6587000</integer>

But now I'm wondering, what is the com.google.android.gms.version attribute
anyway? Is it the version number of the google play services on the device?
Copying the file into my workspace seems the same as just hardcoding the
attribute to '6587000'. If so, will this cause issues going forward if
devices update their google play services? Will it cause issues on devices
that currently have an old version of the services installed? (And in all
these cases, how would importing this resource value from the library
project be any better, as that just seems like a hardcoded value as well?)

Any general insight into the safety of this workaround?

---
"Android Developers" group.