Yes, this is how the system works for drawables. Here a quote from the
Android documentation:

The system handles most of the work to render your application properly on
> each screen configuration by scaling layouts to fit the screen size/density
> and *scaling bitmap drawables for the screen density, as appropriate*.

(Source:
http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html#support)

The only real problems arise when:

   1. Your only drawable available has a too low resolution. Upscaling on a
   high density screen will make it look slightly blurry. That is especially
   noticeable when your app icon is right next to a hi-res icon.
   2. The Android system's scaling introduces unwanted artifacts. By
   providing your own set of icons you have full control over the appearance.
   This is especially an issue with 9-patch drawables, since the slice markers
   may bleed into the image area due to interpolation and the markers
   themselves may not be "readable" anymore for slicing up the image. So
   especially in case of 9-patch drawables you probably want to provide
   different versions for each supported screen density.

On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 7:56:14 AM UTC-7, RLScott wrote:

> I tried using a clearly incorrect icon size for a launcher icon (386 x
> 386), and the icon was automatically down-sized on my Galaxy Tab 4 to look
> the same as all the other app icons.  So I wonder why we need to provide 5
> different launch icon sizes?  Is this resizing behavior one that I can
> count on?  (By the way, I am only making side-loaded apps, so Google Play
> Store requirements are not an issue for me.)
>
> Robert Scott
> Hopkins, MN

---
"Android Developers" group.