Lunch may have had the settings added that allow it to build certain
combinations that do not appear in the lunch menu. There is a script call
like add-lunch-menu-item that adds items to the menu, but an item does not
need to be in the menu to work. If you call lunch with an item like
"sdk-eng", and lunch does not display an error message, then the
environment is ready to build that item. You can check the current settings
with "printconfig". Go ahead and do your build.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-developers/65ac5b03-4efa-4171-8454-3acec13186ff%40googlegroups.com.