Hello developers,

I am working on a medical device research project in which I am trying to
perform complex computational audition to selectively isolate sounds. This
is termed "auditory beamforming", and in order for this to be possible I
need to be able to record from multiple inputs simultaneously, as the
necessary information is hidden in the tiny differences between each
channel based on the mic location.

I think I have run into a snag though, as even though the Android
documentation talks about multichannel recording through USB audio devices,
it seems that there is currently only support for mono or stereo inputs
currently. This, as you can imagine, is very concerning to me. And if it is
true, it basically means my project is dead in the water.

Does anyone know if it is now possible, or will be possible soon, to be
able to record flexibly from any number of microphone channels
simultaneously? I know there are a couple of proprietary USB drivers
floating around that claim they can do this, but I was really hoping for
official Android functionality for this.

Thanks for any help you can provide

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-developers/37a06edc-17d9-4f6d-9cf4-cc1253a438df%40googlegroups.com.