Well, well, in fact we currently use some kind of  MITM attack with our
cachebox, the only problem is that it needs for the user to first download
the cachebox's certificate before downloading the cached android package.
And the cachebox download the application once a day From Google Play. So
the only problem here is that the number of installations is not equal to
the number of downloads but for us that's not a problem as we have more
precise statistics for our customer than the information displayed on the
Google Play's application page.
That works, I just complain that the user needs to download a certificate
first for android an not for ios.
And I don't have particular fear about an attack of the cache server, no
more no less of every machine on Internet.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-developers/CAHxu9EqnsotQwHWjShi6n9bVt4Lgvr11MSbEyf%2BXDPSgW2pTQw%40mail.gmail.com.