I'm working on developing a library with a set of APIs that developers can
latch on to, and then build their Android applications on top of this
library. However, I have an issue here. I have an encryption key in the
code that I want to protect. So, I want to prevent users from reverse
engineering or decompiling my code, and finding out the encryption key.

How do I protect my library? I have searched the internet on this, and the
common census seems to be that in spite of obfuscation, complete security
cannot be guaranteed and with enough time and patience, a developer can
eventually crack the code and sniff out the protected data. However, I am
still not able to buy this opinion fully. For example, Qualcomm's Gimbal
released an Android SDK (https://docs.gimbal.com/android/v2/devguide.html),
and their software pricing is entirely dependent on the fact that
developers don't decompile and understand their packet decryption
algorithm. Is there a way to enforce protection at a code level, or are we
only left with licenses/legal route to protect code IP?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-developers/785fcd48-a565-443a-972f-d25afa8172b7%40googlegroups.com.