Hi
I want to down-sample a 8mp image to 5mp bitmap. The image is either
captured from camera or loaded from sdcard. When I try to
use createScaledBitmap()  on galaxy s3 or older devices, the memory
overflows. I considered downsampling while decoding the bitmap using
BitmapFactory.Options "inSampleSize", but found that inSamplesize is an
integer value and inSamplesize <= 8mp/5mp is 1, which means there is not
enough room for downsampling while decoding. What are the other ways in
which I can downsample image to 5mp and avoid memory overflow? Is there a
method for inplace downsampling OR is it possible to write a custom decoder
to this task?

Regards
Ruppesh

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-developers/48bc6946-f53b-46e3-80a6-e2c797b09d34%40googlegroups.com.