We use managed In-app billing (IAB) in 3 apps. Sometimes there are reports
from customers that they don't get the upgrade to full version, eventhough
the apps are carefully tested on our test devices on Android 6 and 4.4.4.
We test through alpha testing and we have not found any problems with
upgrading. 2 of the apps have IAB version 3 and 1 have IAB version 5. It is
the same problem. The apps are developed according to IAB guidelines.

Why does this happen? Is there some problem with Google's servers, which
causes these IAB errors, which prevents some customers from getting the
upgrade? Has anyone else encountered the same issue?

This is a very serious issue for my company, since it results in bad
reviews and lower rankings for the IAB apps. We can not use IAB in the
upcoming apps, since it seems to be too unreliable. It is also very
annoying that IAB seems to be more reliable on iOS. These are 2 other
issues with IAB, which we still haven't found any solution to:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38481125/consume-purchase-for-in-app-billing-does-not-work-on-android-6
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38460219/in-app-purchases-are-lost-after-uninstall-on-managed-purchase-type

Here are the statistics about this issue:

app 1: 1215 sold upgrades, 2 complaints from customers who did not get the
upgrade

app 2: 94 sold upgrades, 2 complaints from customers who did not get the
upgrade

app 3: 122 sold upgrades, 4 complaints from customers who did not get the
upgrade

There could be more customers, who did not get the upgrade. The statistics
are only for those who complained.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-developers/afda07b3-be94-4b72-bb68-c8bf74b1859b%40googlegroups.com.