This is getting even more confusing:
 * canRead and canWrite are true on the file
 * creating new files (new names) also fails

The only way to get it to work again is to uninstall and install the
app from scratch again.

So, right know I am totally clueless, expect it could be an Android
bug. I noticed other apps in the market having similar problems
("please uninstall and install"). But on the other hand, a bug of that
severity would probably have been popped up and fixed earlier. So, I
am hoping I missed something important here, or at least that there's
work around.

Any ideas? Does it work with your app? Any help is highly appreciated!

Markus