I am having the same problem, and can not monitor the accelerometer
without the screen being kept dim.  I'll keep posting on this issue
but haven't seen any work-around yet (if one exists).   Can a Google
Engineer please close this thread with a "no it cant happen" or "here
is the way to deal with this." I would be most grateful.