well y is an instance of of my class and foo() is defined by me so I
start an activity, however, the caller (from the thread.run()) method
is not something that  I do. I just noticed someone calling it like
that (from the Thread.run() method) and it was not working, hence my
question...Is the problem that it is being called from a thread or
that there is a progree dialog being showed? or neither?

Rohit