Yup, thats how it's done in AndAppStore.

The "trickiest" bit is calculating the signature, but once you know what
you've got to include, well, our method is about 30 lines of code and
most of that is calls to StringBuilder.append(). Then we add all the
relevant headers to the request and send it over using the HTTPClient
libraries.

Parsing the response is simple enough, we use a SAXParser, feed it a
DefaultHandler derived class written to parse the response, and then
pull the result from the DefaultHandler derived class.

Al.
http://andappstore.com/

jjbunn wrote:
> Hello Al,
>
> Thanks for this sensible suggestion: so you are basically building the
> request body yourself, sending it with HTTPClient, and then parsing
> the response with your own software?
>
> Julian
>
> On Feb 23, 7:51 am, Al Sutton <a...@funkyandroid.com> wrote:
>
>> You don't need the whole AWS kit to do AWS things. You can use the
>> HTTPClient libraries on the phone and a small amount of coding to write
>> the stuff yourself.
>>
>> The AWS stuff we use in AndAppStore was written in-house and is less
>> than 1500 lines and handles uploads, listing buckets, and deletions in
>> S3 and distribution through CloudFront.
>>
>> Al.
>>

>> jjbunn wrote:

>>> Amazonsupplies with their Java AWS kit a set of ten third party jars.
>>> They are:
>>>
>>> commons-codec-1.3.jar
>>> commons-httpclient-3.0.1.jar
>>> commons-logging-1.1.jar