Just a little more depth on it...

If you look at what the copy protection is doing - it dumps your
normal .apk to /data/app-private then puts a .zip in /data/app

The .apk is your originally signed one - and the .zip is you manifest,
resources and res folder. So that res folder basically doubles your
size since it contacts copies of all of the resources you also contain
in your .apk

-Tim