The locking happens at two levels: the bootloader (i.e. whether the
fastboot protocol is enabled or disabled) and the keys used during
recovery (i.e. whether recovery recognizes secret keys or known "test"
keys).

Replacing both of those with locked versions would lock you out of
your phone. The bootloader that the ADP1 ships with prevents you from
updating the bootloader for that specific reason.

You'll be at risk if you flash your device with a build that looks
close enough to a "locked" consumer build, as that could later cause
an automatic update to overwrite your build, and if that update
replaces both your bootloader and your recovery keys you'll be stuck.
If you flash it with a build that looks close enough to an unlocked
build, the worst that an automatic update is likely to do would be to
update you to a newer version of a similarly unlocked build, but
there's of course no guarantee.

Of course, you understand that working with builds from unknown
sources instead of official builds carries an additional level of
risk.

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru