In my game, I've got one activity starting another activity via an
intent. When the user is finished with the second activity, they quit
it using the back button. However, I have a problem: when this
happens, the second activity is still running, even if it's quit with
the back button.

My second activity will eventually give a "game over" message using a
pop up window if there is no user input for a period of time. Problem
is, when I back out of the second activity (where the game is
happening) the "game over" message still appears eventually. This is
how I know the second activity is still running. It even displays a
"game over" message if my entire app is quit (on the Android OS).

How do I stop an activity completely when the user presses the back
button?