I'm wondering how to use the GData APIs without requiring the user to
type their username and password in my app. The user has to login to
the phone, so it doesn't make much sense to me that apps would require
them to type it in again. The phone's calendar and gmail apps
obviously don't prompt so how is it done?

I found some threads on this which indicate this isn't possible, but
they are pretty old and I was wondering if there is any new
information (i.e., given that we have a new SDK version 1.1).