On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Bnet <tcb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to call the SoundNotification.java from the
> PhoneStateListener to test a default system notification sound. When a
> missed call state is true, the SoundNotification.java is called to
> play the sound or beep. I understand your point about the receiver
> dropping the phonestatelistener and appreciate the feedback. Thanks
> again.

OK, so it sounds like *what* you want to do (your MyPhoneStateListener
and SoundNotification classes are part of *how* you want to do it) is
to play a sound when a call is missed.
So first you need to figure out if a call is missed. There are a
number of ways to do that. You were trying to do this by using a
PhoneStateListener, which is fine, but I don't think you actually need
it. You already have a receiver for the PHONE_STATE_CHANGED Intent
broadcast, and that Intent already contains an 'extra' that tells you
the current state, so you shouldn't need to set up a
PhoneStateListener.
Then, since you're determining whether a call was missed by
idle-ringing-idle transitions, you'll need some place to store the
intermediate states, so that when the call state goes to idle again,
you can check whether the previous state was offhook, and if not, play
the sound.
You could use a Service to keep track of the intermediate states, but
a simpler solution might be to store/retrieve the previous state using
a SharedPreference. However you want to do it is up to you, but you
shouldn't rely on the broadcast receiver itself keeping any state for
you. Once you've determined that a call was missed, you play the
sound, probably using MediaPlayer.