My theory is that RC9 means that all Google now needs to do is flick a
switch and the UK will see paid apps without needing e.g. RC10.

But I don't think Google are ready to flick the switch. They still
want to sort out any teething issues they had from opening the paid
market in the US.

My paid app available US only has had several Google issues, including
users not being able to download updates, users not being able to get
refunds within 24 hours, users not being able to transfer apps to new
phone, etc.

Google will want to sort out these issues before they open up the
market too widely so I can understand why they are not giving any
definite dates.