Duh, I thought we (i.e. developers with several years of mobile sw
development behind) could already get rid of this problem, sit back
and rely on that 1: Android devices will all be sold with a binding
contract with an operator (not as if it was always good) 2: that
contract had an unlimited plan. This would have saved us quite a bit
of time on trying to figure out what is good for the user.

On Symbian it's been a long time issue (since the platform is much
older than Android). We had to (and since there's serious QA criteria
to fulfill for your app to be officially signed we still have to) warn
the user that such an operation is to be performed during the
application's lifetime that may potentially suck money from the user's
wallet. Home network, roaming status, available WiFi hotspots, etc.
are all taken into account and the user can specify a preference among
these. Seamless roaming is such a new feature provided by the system
that enables an app to continuously exchange data with a remote server
while the comms stack changes between, say, home network (where data
plan is still affordable) and your home WiFi hotspot.

It was also troublesome, even though could be done with reasonable
effort, to always ask the user for her preference whenever your
application was to set up a network connection. I thought we wouldn't
have to face this problem at all on Android with unlimited plans
everywhere. Sad to hear that this is not the case.

Just my $0.02,

Tote