A partial wakelock doesn't help because, as I have already explained,
as soon as the display goes off, the accelerometers go off. I can keep
the CPU awake, and my program continues to run when the display is
off. However, as soon as the display goes off, the accelerometers go
silent.

So this is why I think that the solution lies in one of the lower
layers, I'm just not sure where to start digging.

Cheers,
Jordan