I appreciate the reply, but forgive the relentless imprecision in my
understanding.

Bottom line: can two different applications with two different package
names have the same android:label in the manifest, say for a lite and
a pro version of the same app?  Where is android:label actually used?
Is the name shown on the Market?  The name shown in the app list on
the device?  Anywhere else?

Thank you.