I implemented a scrollable TextView, named ScrollTextView before
Android 1.1R1 with the marquee feature for TextView. It used
android.widget.Scroller and attached TextPaint.
Here's the source code:
http://bear-polka.blogspot.com/2009/01/scrolltextview-scrolling-textview-for.html

It's glad to see that marquee is supported.

However you could not make the TextView scrolling if you only set
these 2 attributes, android:ellipsize and android:marqueeRepeatLimit.

According to my testing, at least the following 3 attributes shall be
set:
android:ellipsize="marquee"
  android:focusable="true"
  android:singleLine="true"
And the TextView shall be focused while running.

Moreover, I found 2 limitations in current marquee implementation:

   1. Never scroll if the TextView does not get the focuse;
   2. The scrolling is odd because the round of scrolling begins from
the left side while end at the right side. It looks like the animation
is reset.

So far, I think my implementation of ScrollTextView is better for the
marquee feature. :)