I don't think anyone would flame you on this list.
You had a free app, you made some improvements which cost you this and
that hours of hard work, angry wife, etc.... :) and you want a reward
for that - how this can be wrong?

What I'd do is have the lite version display a dialog on 1st startup,
showing a 1-time notice explaining everything you've just said in a
way that users can understand, including instructions on how to
download and install the previous full-featured free version from your
web site (explaining to users that they have to enable apps from 2rd
party sites, menu paths to do that, etc.).

Don't forget to mention that it can't possibly be your fault that an
imbecile at Google decided that an app's description could fit in 325
chars, and express your confidence that the issue will be fixed by
Google in a timely manner, and asking users politely to file this is a
bug on the Market's forums :)

Cheers