Hmmm.  Honestly, I found the screamingpengiun page far more helpful,
even if it's unofficial and therefore possibly risky.  The official
list of resources is so terse and lacks any imagery that I find it
mostly useless. It gives no more information than the editor's javadoc
& context completion popups do. I find myself cross referencing a
useful-but-possibly-problematic reference and an official-safe-yet-
near-useless reference. And neither page gives guidance as to how or
when each icon is intended to be used to provide a consistent user
experience.

The stock graphical resources are helpful not just in providing a
consistent UI, but also for developers who need an icon quickly and
don't have the artistic skill or time to doodle something. Every
developer to creating their own icons is a fast track to ugly.  But
it's also very convenient to be able to refer to an existing &
standardized set of icons instead of having to roll your own every
time. Suddenly need an icon for a dialpad?  It's there for you
already....how handy!  It avoids ugly 'programmer art', makes the UI
consistent for the user, and is more convenient during development.
It would be would even more useful if there was an extended set of
standardized icons that covered more circumstances but still matched
the look and feel of the existing set.

--Larz