So, I can get it to work if I replicate that demo perfectly, which
doesn't assign a context to the layout, it just uses some default.  I
am trying to build off the extended ListActivity example, however, in
which a context is assigned so that a special item is shown in the
list when and only when the list is empty.  When I try to assign the
context, the app crashes.  I pulled over the appropriate anim xml file
of course.  Here's my layout:

<LinearLayout
        xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";
        android:layout_width="fill_parent"
android:layout_height="wrap_content"
        android:layoutAnimation="@anim/slide_top_to_bottom" >

        <ListView
                android:id="@+id/android:list"
                android:layout_width="fill_parent"
android:layout_height="wrap_content" />
        <TextView
                android:id="@+id/android:empty"
                android:layout_width="fill_parent"
                android:layout_height="?android:attr/listPreferredItemHeight"
                android:textAppearance="?android:attr/textAppearanceLarge"
                android:gravity="center_vertical"
                android:paddingLeft="5dip"
                android:paddingRight="5dip"
                android:textColor="#FFFF0000"
                android:text="Nothing to show message goes here" />
</LinearLayout>

And here's my code, which crashes on the setContentView() call and
thus never reaches all the animation initialization below it:

                super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
                setContentView(R.layout.tablelist_activity);

                AnimationSet set = new AnimationSet(true);

                Animation animation = new AlphaAnimation(0.0f, 1.0f);
                animation.setDuration(50);
                set.addAnimation(animation);

                animation = new TranslateAnimation(
                    Animation.RELATIVE_TO_SELF, 0.0f,Animation.RELATIVE_TO_SELF,
0.0f,
                    Animation.RELATIVE_TO_SELF,
-1.0f,Animation.RELATIVE_TO_SELF,
0.0f
                );
                animation.setDuration(100);
                set.addAnimation(animation);

                LayoutAnimationController controller =  new
LayoutAnimationController
(set, 0.5f);
                ListView listView = getListView();
                listView.setLayoutAnimation(controller);

                etc. other setup
}

By the nature of the crash, there is no way to study the problem in
the debugger.  It crashes hard, deep inside Android, where the
backtrace is unfathomable.

Any ideas?