On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 4:11 AM, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:

> This is definitely new in cupcake - it's part of the work that has
> been done by the tools team to allow a single SDK to work with
> multiple target configurations, and the visible effect is that
> launching the emulator outside of either the source tree or a
> fully-configured SDK distribution might actually be tricky.

Actually, even launching from a fully configured SDK distribution will
display this
error message. For a variety of reasons, you can't expect the mere
"emulator" command
to launch the emulator anymore, unless you are in the Android build system.

What you need to do inste'ad is create one or more Android Virtual Device
 (AVD) instance(s),
then specify which one you want to run with "emulator -avd <name>" or the
equivalent "emulator @<name>"

Avds are created by the new companion tool named "android".

> (sadly, I don't know what exact parameters need to be passed to make it
> work).

Well, you could try reading the content of -help-avd as suggested by the
error message :-)

For the record, the "avd" is what was called a "vm" until recently in the
Cupcake sources;
we changed the name because it was a bit confusing. Some people didn't
immediately
understand the distinction between the "emulator VMs" and the "Dalvik VMs";
it even resulted
in ambiguous emails sometimes where it was hard to know what was being
discussed.

At least, the term "avd" is not overtly used and totally non-ambiguous.