Here's another one that SHOULD be a no-brainer, but isn't.  Eight
hours of searching on the forums, Google, etc... brings me in circles
back around to very incomplete (and often misleading) information:

Dead end/Question #1:  Downloading via link is not working.

Downloading 3rd party apps is enabled.  When I try to download
the .apk file from the web browser, the Android tells me the file
downloaded, and asks me to install the app.  I click yes, and the
phone doesn't ask me for permission.  The application simply doesn't
show up on the Appliations list.

Dead end/Question #2: Need clear instructions on getting an .apk
installed on the device.

I want to programmatically install an application on the Android by
downloading  the .apk file to the phone.  Forcing the user to accept
the application through startActivity is fine.  I don't need "secret
installs" (nor do I think they're a good idea).

So, using this is fine:

    startActivity(new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW, Uri.parse("file:///
proper/path/etc/MyApkFile.apk");

Is that even the right way to use Intents to get the .apk file
launched/installed?

When I use it nothing happens.

Dead End/Question #3:

Also, using PackageManager would be good as well, but I can't find ANY
good documentation on how it's used, and NO documentation other than
API reference on IPackageInstallObserver).  What I do find is terribly
incomplete, and includes two year old posts that PackageManager
installs might not be supported.   So, it  took me half a day to
figure out this :

packageManager.installPackage(packagePath);

When I use it nothing happens.  Can't use an observer because the docs
on THAT are lacking as well.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Richard

<venting>

On a related note: I'm very grateful for the Android platform, and
overall it rocks!.  But, having to find basic technical information
through wayward blogs and incomplete documentation has gotten
really .... really .... old.

</venting>