Thanks, Diane. Yes, a lot of little bitmaps -- and yes, it usually is
a bitmap allocation failure.

What is the right way to figure their memory use?

(I mean, if I make a really small 4 bit indexed color png (no alpha)
does it get "blown up" to RGB_888 or ARGB in the view buffers before
being composited and handed to frame buffer memory?)

And 9 patches...can I get their RAM consumption by taking their final
dimensions, and?

If you rotate the screen, do two copies of the view hierarchy exist
for a moment?

Just trying to understand the machinery so I can attack this better...

-- Ward