I having trouble understanding how to apply and then run an animation
with a view though.

I create the animation:

Animation identityOverlayAnimationIn = new AlphaAnimation(0.0f, 1.0f);
                identityOverlayAnimationIn.setDuration(5000);
                identityOverlayAnimationIn = new TranslateAnimation(
            Animation.RELATIVE_TO_SELF,
-0.0f,Animation.RELATIVE_TO_SELF, 0.0f,
            Animation.RELATIVE_TO_SELF,
-1.0f,Animation.RELATIVE_TO_SELF, 0.0f
        );

Than apply it to the RelativeLayout:

theLayout.setAnimation(identityOverlayAnimationIn);

Then run it like this:

identityOverlayAnimationIn.start();

But it doesn't seem to work...