I believe the right way to fire a ProcessDialog is thru a Handler
try the following...

-- create a Handler and processDialog somewhere before doStuff()
   private final Handler handler = new Handler();
   private ProcessDialog processDialog;

-- your doStuff method should look like this
void doStuff() {
  fireProcessDialog();

   /*
   do your stuff,
   typically a network operation
   */
   doSomeNetworkingOperation();

   // dismiss the dialog
   myProgressDialog.dismiss();
}

private void fireProgressDialog() {
        Runnable updater = new Runnable() {
                public void run() {
                        myProgressDialog =
ProgressDialog.show(layout.getContext(),"Please
                                             wait...", "Downloading
content...", true);
                }
        };