You have to create a seperate thread that repeatedly updates the
position of your model a few 'pixels' at a time.

Just calling glTranslate won't smoothly move your model(/world) to
that position. It will just be put at that position.

You have to call glTranslate a number of times, create the animation
yourself.

Take a look at the APIDemos for OpenGL. It'll help :)