Hi all (hoping Ms Hackborn might see this post as well)

I know this might seem off-topic but it does have to do with
development of an application.  There is a lot of info here so I
apologize for the long-winded post... here goes.

My application utilizes a ringtone picker and what I'm finding is that
in some cases *it seems like* the default ringtone that a user sets
for their phone is not *truly* the default ringtone systemwide.

My application also does not set the ringtone for the phone - it
merely uses it in its own scope, that is, it does not affect any
systemwide settings.

Now one of the users of this app has reported to me that he has Rings
Extended installed and that's how he sets his default ringtone for his
phone.  What my app does is:

1.  user uses default ringtone in ringtone picker in application scope
2.  user hits ok
3.  ringtone's actual URI is resolved from content://settings/system/ringtone
and stored for later use

What it seems like is happening is that the default ringtone URI is
still pointing to the original default ringtone - i.e. the one that is
the factory-defined default.   So when they play the default ringtone
in my app, they get that factory-defined one... not the one they have
defined as the default ringtone.

On the other hand, I don't have Rings Extended installed anymore
because it seems that the functionality that it achieved is now
performed by the build - I'm using RC33.  My default ringtone is set
systemwide and the URI is content://settings/system/ringtone.  To get
the system to see ringtones on my SD card, I simply mount it, copy the
ringtones to Ringtones, unmount, and then they show up in ringtone
pickers.

I don't know what build this user is using at the moment.

Sorry if this is a lot to digest but is Rings Extended obsolete now?
I don't want to tell users of my app to uninstall it if it's working
for them... that wouldn't seem nice.  Perhaps T-Mobile has not pushed
out newer/newest builds to everyone?  I'm confused - it's hard to tell
who has what, it seems.

Thanks,
Rob