Thanks for the suggestion (and yes, your guess is spot-on - we'll try
rearranging it next time we have the covers off).

But I don't think that changes the point - this app is not insanely
badly-written as it stands, and it is already tripping over the stack-
depth problem. Scratching about looking for ways to use less stack,
and to avoid complicated view structures, doesn't feel very 2009. Nor
does it feel like a good use of our time.

R,