Yikes....

Another option would be to start a timer at each getView call (using
postDelayed and removeCallbacks methods; postDelayd to start timer,
removeCallbacks to remove previous timer until the last call to
getView).

When the last timer times-out (the last non-remove postDelayed), the
task (Runnable provided to the postDelayed call) could get the
GridView and loop over its child-views (which are the cells). This
means you will start the animations 'outside' of the getView method,
after the grid-view has finished all its work.

Maybe there is a better way than using a timer to figure out when a
listview or gridview are done laying out their child-views, though....