hi,
bellow just a test sample source for a background thread.

i would like that when my app is closed it still run in the background
(like at my tracks) to collect data even when it is closed.

but it always dies after a while by itself, why?

thanks
chris

package com.chris.alarmer;

import android.app.Activity;
import android.os.Bundle;
import android.util.Log;

public class alarmer extends Activity {

        @Override
    public void onDestroy() {
        super.onDestroy();
        Thread thr = new Thread(null, mTask, "alarmer");
        thr.start();
    }

        @Override
        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
        setContentView(R.layout.main);

        Thread thr = new Thread(null, mTask, "alarmer");
        thr.start();

    }

    Runnable mTask = new Runnable() {
        public void run() {
            // Normally we would do some work here...  for our sample,
we will
            // just sleep for 30 seconds.
                Log.i("DATABASE-TEST","-----------: START THREAD");
                long endTime = System.currentTimeMillis() + 99999*1000;
                long endTime2 = System.currentTimeMillis() + 10*1000;

            while (System.currentTimeMillis() < endTime)
            {
                //get data after 10 seconds
                if (System.currentTimeMillis() > endTime2)
                {
                        endTime2 = System.currentTimeMillis() +10*1000;
                        Log.i("DATABASE-TEST","-----------: GET DATA");
                }

            }

            Log.i("DATABASE-TEST","-----------: END THREAD");
            // Done with our work...  stop the service!
          //  alarmer.this.stopSelf();
        }
    };

}